Saturday 15 October 2011

The Citizens

Sometimes the Football League seems like too much fuss. Sometimes I can't be chowed with the 40 odd mile round trip to Hartlepools. Then sometimes I'm often not happy with local looneys on the terraces. I know we're all there to follow the same cause, but fuck they're annoying at times. Have to be in the mood for it these days.

And today was one of those days I was not in the mood. It's a shame that Hartlepool United is playing a less prominent role in my life, but circumstances have changed. Have had to 'volunteer' to work weekends to ease child care worries during the week, so its rare I get a Saturday off. And when I do get one I'm usually chomping at the bit to get down to the Vic. However 10 months ago I became a Dad and money is tight, so the petrol money, pie/pint and gate fee at United seems that little bit more extortionate. So when I have that guilty feeling in my gut - "£20 for the Millhouse Terrace is approx. 24 jars of baby food or 60-70 nappies etc" - I have Durham City AFC.

Used to go fairly regularly back in early 2000s as ex Pools legend Brian Honour was in charge, and a whole host of former Poolie youth/reserves turned out in City's yellow. A trip to Wembley was almost on the cards when they reached the FA Vase in 2002 only to be dumped out by local rivals Whitley Bay. The team has moved up the ladder to two below the Conference North, but now is Sunderland orientated with Dickie Ord in charge and a fair few Mackem releasees plying part time trade for the Citizens.

Popped up today with a few mates, a former Newcastle supporter who has turned his back on the Geordies and now has a season ticket at DCAFC (He gets a ribbing though - only started going a few years ago when they were winning the league. Fucking glory), and two Sunderland fans at a loose end. Enjoyed it immensely. A nice brown ale in clubhouse beforehand, sensational chips and gravy, a cool crisp sunny October afternoon and a topsy-turvy open game of passing football that resulted in a 3-2 victory for City. Plenty entertainment for the £7 admittance, the decision seemingly the correct one with Hartlepool losing at home to Wycombe.

1 comment:

  1. Decent read, Currently still love going to watch Latics & dont think that will stop to be honest...Try and find the money to go even when skint, Silly really.

    I try and watch non league football a couple of times a season in the mid week - Lancaster City if I am visiting my mums or Burscough is only 20 minutes away on the train, When they where playing at Victoria Park.

    ReplyDelete

Henri Lloyd Consort

 Suitable for the sea, Sardinian sandwich shops and soccer stands of Sheffield. Henri Lloyd RWR is one of Mr Strzelecki’s signature pieces i...