Monday 24 June 2013

Holy Grail

What's yours? CP Company 1500 Mille Miglia? Stone Island snowflake? Berghaus Ice cap? Mine is not as highly rated, and certainly not in the same circles, as these (although in my opinion it's still a decent bit of retro kit - literally)... Hartlepool United's home shirt from 1995-1997.

I'll explain. Yes I despise the replica shirt wearing masses, paying 40 odd quid to corporates, in order to wander round wearing their clubs colours, complete another corporate's logo on the front. Stupidity. However this shirt is special to me. My first ever match at Pools saw us take to the pitch in this classy affair. Wigan Athletic, complete with their 'Three Amigos' Spanish contingent (Martinez, Seba and one other?), were the opposition back in 1996 and heading on to better things.

Truth be told I don't remember much about the match. I was a timid and frightened youth in awe of what was happing around me on the terrace. Loud mouthed skinheads in Crombie jackets smoking their roll ups, cloth capped granddad's showing disgust and derision at any Pools move good or bad, intoxicated and inebriated burly lads singing their love about the club who's town couldn't even offer them a decent upbringing, schooling or employment. And plenty of young lads like myself shatting their pants at the above.

It was a draw. Wigan scored on the 89th to lead, Pools equalised 90th to send me bumping back and forth, ebbing and flowing with the Town End tide of joy. Mark Cooper smashed a long range drive onto the bar as the ref was blowing for full time. Oooh. I'd seen enough and knew I wanted the shirt...

It's taken some sourcing via CFS.com but I finally got my grail. To be honest it's never going to get worn, but as I approach thirty with my second born due any day soon, and as I become nostalgic for my childhood years (1990NiceOne) it was a purchase just as necessary as yet another bit of vintage Osti or Ralph shirting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Henri Lloyd Consort

 Suitable for the sea, Sardinian sandwich shops and soccer stands of Sheffield. Henri Lloyd RWR is one of Mr Strzelecki’s signature pieces i...